Nov 2018 PPTG Meeting Minutes

Adults: 30
Dinner by Ms. Ellen and 5th grade students

Stephen Bloom - $1000 check.

Make up picture day - November 8th

Brewing community - 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month

Garden work day - November 10th (Canceled due to bad air quality)
Composting workshop by resident parent this Saturday

Walkathon report

-Headed by Scotia Miller
-Went great
-237 registered walkers
-Over $35k raised
-Funds can still be turned in; put in PPTG box in the office; Crowdrise site never expires

Salad bar
-Headed by Valerie
-Refrigerator and salad bar was broken
-Now fixed
-Need volunteers from 11 am to 1 pm to prepare and serve salad
-Can ask questions to peraltasaladbar@peraltaschool.org or PPTGchair@peraltaschool.org

Auction

-Headed by Elena Ratto. We now have a chair. Yay!
-Starting an hour early @ 5am 
-1 hour earlier
-Working on logo
-Classroom projects will be starting soon (each classroom works on a project that is donated to the auction )
-E.g. Drawings of different bugs was put on a fabric and sweatshirts were made
-Food - Taco bar
-Theme is endless summer beach party
-Teams are set up
-Procurement will be starting soon
-Anyone who may want to donate or know people who would like to please reach out

Thanksgiving curriculum Ideas: by Lucas
-Group brainstormed ideas
-Talk to teachers and offer to help in educating students more
-Came up with list of books
-Books will cost from $200 to $400 for grades K to 2
-Teachers were eager to get execution materials
-A little concern about parents dictating methods to teach
-Project in progress

Holidays:
-Veterans day
-Minimum days following week for parent-teacher conference
-Closed week of Thanksgiving - PEACE provided the first 2 days of that week

Prospective Families Night 
-Incoming K families or kids for upper grade families transferring here
-Nov 26th 6:30 to 7:30
-Tours will be offered soon 
-Spread the word

No PPTG meeting in December and January

Winter break - Dec 24th to Jan 4th
PEACE will be offered the last 3 days

Next PPTG meeting - first Wednesday of February

5th grade teachers
-Megan Larranaga and Jeff Gaulin

By Ms. Larranaga:
-We plan things together (Math, Science, Literacy, Social studies)
-Think critically and provide evidence to support their ideas
-Analyzing deeply
-Math: fractions and decimals; beginning algebra end of the year
-Collaborate to solve one problem
-Reflect on skills that helped them work together
-Collaborative work in Science - living systems; human body and plant systems
-Chemistry unit on making solutions
-Model of the digestive system
-Work with Ms. Ellen on adding art to the model
-Integrate Math and Science in art time - continue working on that

By Mr. Gaulin:
-How has North America altered so much over the last 500 years 
-Life map (what events shape their life?)
-First step in critical thinking - knowing yourself more
-Starts at birth
-Native American 
-Overlap art and social studies thinking
-Some chose specific tribes (clothing; rituals; etc.)
-Depp dive into native American culture
-Culmination of the unit: Columbus on trial
-Book Ugly - student’s opinion of the word ugly

Ms. Hendrie - 5th grade teachers are amazing

Equity Allies Presentation - parent Rachel Latta
-Involved in organization: Equity Allies
-Working on campaigns to help all students at OUSD
-Current work: campaign on advocacy work on 1840; working on few other bills in the state; implementation of systems in school keeping charter schools on the same planning level as other schools (controversial)
-Blueprint
-More long term on proposition K
-Having more communication among all schools
-Equity fund - it’s true all schools are underfunded but we also have people with many resources
-At Peralta - we are one of the top schools in terms of how much parents donate and care
-Recent discussion was at Crocker Highlands: A to Z program (mini grant program) - teacher can apply for $500 to $1000 for field trips, small projects, etc.
-Can we do something more? In East Oakland Pride - they have major challenges. Many do not have access to food. Many kids are from homeless families. They needed a washer / dryer to help kids with clean clothes
-Goal of the equity fund is raining $150k by December 31st. Currently at 22k.
-Identify schools under high stress
-Add more support to schools that need Title 1 funding
-EquityAllies@OUSD.org has a big DONATE button
-Asking individual donations and see if you can raise some money though school fund raising program
-Can PPTG donate to Equity fund?
-Need clear messaging when money is asked on where the money will be going
-Transparency is important when asking money for equity fund
-Also should have conversation about our values and our role towards community
-Summary: general support for Equity Allies; concern on using money collected so far but future opportunity
-Coming towards auction: what can we do for other schools
-In spring; a session on values and role towards community
-Next action item: ask for money through Peralta News; put flier in bag packs

Leadership Committee Overview:
-The PPTG is a 501c3 non-profit
-Questions on how decisions are made; who is on the committee
-Committee: 2 co-chairs; secretaries; treasurers; a facilities and training cochair; finance chair; missing volunteer chair; bucket of vestigial positions; committee relations and advocacy co-chair
-In spring: have elections for these positions
-Leadership committee meetings are open - 3rd Wednesday of the month
-Events folks are usually invited
-Ellie has been representing PRJSG and Ashley as Welcoming Dinner Chair; they both are taking bigger roles and will continue coming

 



Adults: 30
Dinner by Ms. Ellen and 5th grade students

Stephen Bloom - $1000 check.

Make up picture day - November 8th

Brewing community - 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month

Garden work day - November 10th (Canceled due to bad air quality)
Composting workshop by resident parent this Saturday

Walkathon report

-Headed by Scotia Miller
-Went great
-237 registered walkers
-Over $35k raised
-Funds can still be turned in; put in PPTG box in the office; Crowdrise site never expires

Salad bar
-Headed by Valerie
-Refrigerator and salad bar was broken
-Now fixed
-Need volunteers from 11 am to 1 pm to prepare and serve salad
-Can ask questions to peraltasaladbar@peraltaschool.org or PPTGchair@peraltaschool.org

Auction

-Headed by Elena Ratto. We now have a chair. Yay!
-Starting an hour early @ 5am 
-1 hour earlier
-Working on logo
-Classroom projects will be starting soon (each classroom works on a project that is donated to the auction )
-E.g. Drawings of different bugs was put on a fabric and sweatshirts were made
-Food - Taco bar
-Theme is endless summer beach party
-Teams are set up
-Procurement will be starting soon
-Anyone who may want to donate or know people who would like to please reach out

Thanksgiving curriculum Ideas: by Lucas
-Group brainstormed ideas
-Talk to teachers and offer to help in educating students more
-Came up with list of books
-Books will cost from $200 to $400 for grades K to 2
-Teachers were eager to get execution materials
-A little concern about parents dictating methods to teach
-Project in progress

Holidays:
-Veterans day
-Minimum days following week for parent-teacher conference
-Closed week of Thanksgiving - PEACE provided the first 2 days of that week

Prospective Families Night 
-Incoming K families or kids for upper grade families transferring here
-Nov 26th 6:30 to 7:30
-Tours will be offered soon 
-Spread the word

No PPTG meeting in December and January

Winter break - Dec 24th to Jan 4th
PEACE will be offered the last 3 days

Next PPTG meeting - first Wednesday of February

5th grade teachers
-Megan Larranaga and Jeff Gaulin

By Ms. Larranaga:
-We plan things together (Math, Science, Literacy, Social studies)
-Think critically and provide evidence to support their ideas
-Analyzing deeply
-Math: fractions and decimals; beginning algebra end of the year
-Collaborate to solve one problem
-Reflect on skills that helped them work together
-Collaborative work in Science - living systems; human body and plant systems
-Chemistry unit on making solutions
-Model of the digestive system
-Work with Ms. Ellen on adding art to the model
-Integrate Math and Science in art time - continue working on that

By Mr. Gaulin:
-How has North America altered so much over the last 500 years 
-Life map (what events shape their life?)
-First step in critical thinking - knowing yourself more
-Starts at birth
-Native American 
-Overlap art and social studies thinking
-Some chose specific tribes (clothing; rituals; etc.)
-Depp dive into native American culture
-Culmination of the unit: Columbus on trial
-Book Ugly - student’s opinion of the word ugly

Ms. Hendrie - 5th grade teachers are amazing

Equity Allies Presentation - parent Rachel Latta
-Involved in organization: Equity Allies
-Working on campaigns to help all students at OUSD
-Current work: campaign on advocacy work on 1840; working on few other bills in the state; implementation of systems in school keeping charter schools on the same planning level as other schools (controversial)
-Blueprint
-More long term on proposition K
-Having more communication among all schools
-Equity fund - it’s true all schools are underfunded but we also have people with many resources
-At Peralta - we are one of the top schools in terms of how much parents donate and care
-Recent discussion was at Crocker Highlands: A to Z program (mini grant program) - teacher can apply for $500 to $1000 for field trips, small projects, etc.
-Can we do something more? In East Oakland Pride - they have major challenges. Many do not have access to food. Many kids are from homeless families. They needed a washer / dryer to help kids with clean clothes
-Goal of the equity fund is raining $150k by December 31st. Currently at 22k.
-Identify schools under high stress
-Add more support to schools that need Title 1 funding
-EquityAllies@OUSD.org has a big DONATE button
-Asking individual donations and see if you can raise some money though school fund raising program
-Can PPTG donate to Equity fund?
-Need clear messaging when money is asked on where the money will be going
-Transparency is important when asking money for equity fund
-Also should have conversation about our values and our role towards community
-Summary: general support for Equity Allies; concern on using money collected so far but future opportunity
-Coming towards auction: what can we do for other schools
-In spring; a session on values and role towards community
-Next action item: ask for money through Peralta News; put flier in bag packs

Leadership Committee Overview:
-The PPTG is a 501c3 non-profit
-Questions on how decisions are made; who is on the committee
-Committee: 2 co-chairs; secretaries; treasurers; a facilities and training cochair; finance chair; missing volunteer chair; bucket of vestigial positions; committee relations and advocacy co-chair
-In spring: have elections for these positions
-Leadership committee meetings are open - 3rd Wednesday of the month
-Events folks are usually invited
-Ellie has been representing PRJSG and Ashley as Welcoming Dinner Chair; they both are taking bigger roles and will continue coming

 



* * *

PPTG Leadership Committee Meeting, October 17, 2018
Kristel, Drew, Paolomee, Megan, Ashley, Chris, Ellie, Elena, Scotia, Bernie

Auction:
Elena Ratto is here to lead!

Large procurement team is set up, and a lot of volunteer roles are filled.

(Pamela Waxman is running sponsorships, school-wide, Auction included.)

Elena’s background is that she does VIP ticketing for the SF Ballet, so she is familiar with their Gala (experience with event planning).

Procurement Team has already met, and has another meeting on Nov. 1.

Addressing some problems from last year - software and day-of stress.

Theme - Endless Summer Beach Party (more “California” than the prior “luau” announcement).

Shifting an hour earlier - 5:00-9:00.

Getting auction items live on the silent auction earlier.

No need to have gift certificates on display, physically.

Lights up a little more to support bidding and checking out.

Get a coordinator for the full day instead of the college volunteers.

Erin interviewed a manager who would work on database on the day-of, and monthly check-in with the team.

Researching software options - maybe Network for Good.

Ashley - survey and her own thoughts - conveyed to Elena.

Giselle is reaching out to the Sankofa principal to see if there is a specific need - infrastructure or equipment - that could be in an item in our Auction.

Equity Fund - talk of optional donation opportunity in our Auction, so that parents could choose to give money to the Equity Fund (as opposed to pulling money from the general Auction earnings).

Equity Fund
Ellie explained this non-profit - grants to try to balance the differences between the high-fundraising Oakland schools versus the schools that don’t raise at all. Goal to build longer relationships that could continue year-to-year, to make it easier to receive the grants (easier than the A to Z Fund, for example). The money does not go to charter schools.

Rachel Latta would like to speak about the Equity Fund at the next PPTG meeting.

Walkathon
Scotia!

So far, about $32,000 earned on Sunday’s event.

CrowdRise site will be open through October.

Sno-Kone and Bake Sale did great.

Survey - ideas for alternatives to plastic toys? Think about how to stagger the Sno-Kone to not have as long a line.

Volunteers were great - people showed up day of.

Scotia is willing to do it again next year, but she thinks it would go better with a co-chair. At least someone who on the day-of is designated to deal with issues.

Scotia thinks we should consider different software.

One more announcement in the Peralta News that site will be open.


Upcoming Events

Middle School Night - Oct. 25 (Kristel, Emma)

Pumpkin Patch (Ashley)

Kindergarten Open House and Tours - first tour is November 10 (Ellie and Kristel)

“Start Dialog” Event Idea - Tarah Fleming workshop related to race, identity, equity (Ashley) - not sure yet if it’s a PPTG event, or it’s own separate event. Maybe January or February. RJSG will talk more about deciding what to spend money on and whether this is an option.

LC Structure - discussion about a potential Community Outreach/Inreach Co-Chair designation for Ellie and Ashley. Considering the name and function, and plan to propose to the PPTG. Are there other roles to formally bring into the LC?


8/15/18

Drew, Kristel, Megan, Lolo, Ashley, Ellie, Paolomee, Chris M., Greg L.

Welcoming Dinner:

September 15, 2018, 4:00 p.m.

Planning Meeting? Next week TBD with Ashley, Paolomee, Ellie (was on August 22, but might be changed because of Ms. Osmond’s separate, conflicting back to school night)

Kristel submitted a facilities form, which triggers requesting James to be a custodian for the event (probably 2:00-9:00).

Kristel will tell Charlzetta that the planning group will be leaving things on the school grounds on the Friday ahead of time.

Budget for the event is from the RJSG line on the PPTG budget.  The LC doesn’t want to micromanage how the RJSG money is spent, so it’s up to the group to decide what to spend on and what to spread out for the rest of the year.

This year we’ll have a parent photographer.

Ashley has reached out to Samara to repeat the dance program, but if that doesn’t work, we could ask Paula or someone else at Destiny Arts.

For paper plates, can email Joy Gray, Quartermaster.  Ashley will check the existing supply this weekend during Garden Work Day.

Communications:

The email for getting announcements that go out to the school community (usually the deadline is Thursday night for Friday’s email) - Send to: Communications@peraltaschool.org.

Raquel Maria Dillon will be working on communications, with Wendy Taubler.

(Pamela Waxman is going to focus on sponsorships instead of communications.)

Staffing Updates:

Carmen, new front desk administrative support, is working out well.

Cory, instructional support, is leaving, which may lead to some shifting roles and hours among staff, but PPTG won’t be paying more.

Will Smith, our new gardener, will not be there for the first Garden Work Day.

Garden:

Giselle met with Garden Coordinators (Suzanne, Christa), who are trying to get better support from the parents.

Ideas - try to get a “garden parent” from each class; promote stewardship aspect, we all need to chip in; get good attendance at the first one to get momentum; perhaps assign different areas of the garden to different classes.

Are Sundays better than Saturdays?  We can propose to the Garden Coordinators.

Combine with the Brewing group?

Question of whether we could have skateboarding during Garden Work Day?  We are waiting on answers from our insurance provider.  And there are questions of whether it would help or harm Garden Work Day.

Feedback on Incoming Events:

-Orientation (Saturday August 11, morning)

    -maybe next time if we want more current parents, or LC folks, invite them

    -or it’s also fine to not overwhelm people, and just cover the basics

    -maybe we should make next year’s first Garden Work Day during that initial orientation to demonstrate the involvement in the garden

-Class List Posting at Colby Park (Sunday August 12, 4:00-6:00 p.m.)

    -people enjoyed it outside 

-Welcome Packets

    -many didn’t get them, so we need to work on the messaging to the staff for next year (because they weren’t handed out - it was optional and it wasn’t clear that people should take it)

-next year have parent volunteers facilitate at registration (this year, we didn’t get enough volunteers and/or people had conflicts)

    -Let’s take all the extras and give them out at Back to School Night

    -And we’d like to have more parent volunteers at the registration to figure out

    -New Plan:  Give out the extras at Back to School Night, but get the Peralta Fund forms out ASAP (Lolo to work on this)

 

Directory:

Forms to Paolomee, who will input new families prior to Back to School Night

Vivek is helping with Google Groups

Proposal to reconsider what Vivek presented at the end of last school year about an alternative software program that could make certain things easier.

 

Back to School Night:

Peralta Fund - working on correcting the mistake with the handouts that were supposed to go out at registration, so people get that info.

Fund Spokespeople - Lolo working to have someone for each class.

Megan will be the point person for the spokespeople to meet and get their talking points and PPTG checks for the people.  Greg will give Megan the checks in the PPTG mailbox.  Lolo will give Megan the list of speakers.

 

Fingerprinting this Saturday (during Garden Work Day):

Megan and Kristel will volunteer 10:00 - 1:00

 

PPTG Volunteer Fair:

September 5, 2018

Each group will speak about their group.

 

Auction:

We really need an Auction Chair.

Strategy for the Volunteer Fair - Get Stacy and Peter’s chart of division of labor and talk to people ahead of time to see if we can fill in their names, so that it shows that many key roles are filled.

 

Field Trip Funding:

Ask the teachers about their field trip plans for planning purposes.

Continued plan from last year to focus on parent drivers instead of buses (the cost saving measure implemented last year) - all the more reason to make sure parents are doing the fingerpringing

Other Business:

Annual filing of information with the CA Secretary of State - Drew to ask Suzy

GSuite Account - Drew will follow up, and ask Christa

Oakland Ed Fund - Greg and Drew following up

 

Next LC Meeting:

Megan’s House - 482 58th Street

September 19

Posted
AuthorPamela Waxman