PPTG Roles and Volunteer Directory
Are you a Peralta parent interested in volunteering for one of these roles, or contributing your time or skills in another way? Please complete the Volunteer Survey to let us know where you'd like to help.
Serves as “the face” of PPTG and the liaison between Parent/Guardian community and the Principal. The chair often is the first point of contact for those with questions, needs or information and directs people to the appropriate person within the organization. This role requires quite a bit of time and involvement with the school onsite. The Chair works with the other Co-Chairs on the leadership council to build agendas for and facilitate the PPTG meetings, reach out to the community for volunteers and promote the missions of Peralta on site and within the district.
PPTG Co-Recording Secretaries Paolomee Udani
- Attends all PPTG meetings, take notes, formats and archives via posting on the PPTG-LC website, and will help to make printed copies for non-email users upon request.
Responsible for fulfilling the ongoing financial reporting needs of the PPTG and Peralta community. Works in partnership with the Financial Analyst on strategic projects (budget, long-term funds, etc.). Major responsibilities include paying bills and people; deposits; event cash handling; bookkeeping (QuickBooks) and balancing checkbook; reporting to the membership.
PPTG Volunteer Co-Chairs
Responsible for fulfilling the ongoing financial reporting needs of parents & caregivers may engage in. Maintains the PPTG Guide and the Volunteer Roles directory. Leads the recruiting effort at the end/beginning of each year. Helps organize the Annual Information and Activities Fair at the first PPTG meeting in September. Follows up with coordinators as needed throughout the year. Works to promote diversity and include as many as possible in the PPTG’s community of “doers”.
PPTG Communications Co-Chairs
Ensures all families receive necessary information regarding Peralta news, events, plans, policies, and decision-making; maximizes opportunities for all families to provide input and ideas. Has responsibilities for getting information out via paper handouts, Peralta Times, email newsletter (Peralta Broadcast) and automated telephone service (Calling Post). Coordinates with principal and PPTG Chair to produce and distribute wall/magnet calendar, includes but not limited to the following: select art, solidify calendar of event, manage vendor, etc.
PPTG Facilities Chair
- Facilitates inclusive planning, decision-making, oversight, and communication of PPTG efforts to maintain, improve, and/or expand Peralta ground and facilities, and long term strategic planning. A background in construction and or architecture is helpful here.
PPTG Finance Chair
- Coordinates and supports financial management of PPTG funds; with Fundraising Chair, communicates and coordinates discussion of fundraising progress, issues and decisions to the school community. Forecast future earnings, work with PPTG Chair and principal to prioritize spending.
PPTG Fundraising/Sponsorships Co-Chairs
Strategizes fundraising for the school; communicates and coordinates discussion of fundraising progress, issues and decisions to the school community. Coordinates fundraising and sponsorship asks across all main events: Walkathon, Auction and Peralta in Bloom, to build long-term donor relationships
PPTG Wellness & Support Co-Chairs
Facilitates inclusive planning, decision-making, oversight, and communication of PPTG efforts to enrich and support school programs and operations. Coordinates school-wide lice checks (fun!) and other initiatives to improve and support the health and wellness of the Peralta Community.
PPTG After School Program Co-Chairs
Facilitates inclusive planning, decision-making, oversight, and communication of PPTG efforts to enrich and support the after-school educational experience of Peralta students.
Peralta Racial Justice Study Group
The Peralta Racial Justice Study Group is a space for talking about racial justice within our own lives and families, for exploring our experiences and learning from the experiences of others, and for engaging in solutions to the inequities here in our school community, in our district, and in Oakland.
- This team works on concept, program flow, coordinates donation solicitation, item presentation both physical and catalog, and thanking donors for the Annual Peralta Auction. Hard work, a lot of fun, always a great group who know how to put on a party. Extensive, good documents exist for this important task.
Peralta Fund Chair
Important job at the beginning of each school year with school’s biggest fundraiser. Approximately 20-25 hours of work during first 5 weeks of school (classroom visits, Back to School night presentations, emails/flyers, etc.) Track money as it comes in. Very good documentation for the tasks involved in this job.
Peralta in Bloom Co-Chairs
These positions are a lot of work, but a lot of fun. You work with a bunch of Peralta people (OVER 100) to create the largest, most public event on the Peralta calendar that everyone who is anyone, comes to. You pull together the group and organize the meetings (January-May). Find people to take charge of food, games, entertainment, sponsorship, etc. On the day of the festival, you oversee the event, but you must take time to eat some barbecue. You will be exhausted by the end, but you will probably have made some great friends and you will definitely have an enormous feeling of accomplishment. This position is for people who like to get things done! Extensive, good documents exist for this important task.
How do you get 250 kids to walk around the block 20 times and raise money for the school? Put together pledge packets. Go to each class and try to get every child to participate. Buy lots of really cheap toys. Buy a bunch of “Superwalker” medals. Hand out one toy out each time they go around the block Hand out medals at the end. Remind everyone to turn in their pledges. Remind them again. That's the Peralta Walkathon.
Berkeley Bowl Scrip
Sells Berkeley Bowl scrip to Peralta community one morning each week at school. Coordinates with Treasurer to maintain inventory. Tracks and secures scrip in stock.
Bike and Walk to School
Organize and promote monthly Bike & Walk to School Day, as well as handling International Walk to School Week.
- This person helps run the perennial kid-favorite Scholastic book fair in the Fall and Spring working in conjunction with the librarian Sonia and parent volunteers.
Work with PPTG Chair and principal to manage all PPTG contractors.
Design/Publicity & Signs
Coordinates with principal, teachers, PPTG chairs and volunteer coordinators to inform, promote, and recruit Peralta community on activities, events, and campaigns, through signage, flyers, and Friday folder distribution.
- Earthquake / Disaster Preparedness Levi Toney
- Organizes team to provide materials, storage, and awareness for Peralta staff, teachers, parents and children be prepared for major disasters. Solicit donations, keep inventory and refresh materials and equipment, and organize trainings and drills.
Fifth Grade Commencement
- Fourth grade parents/caregivers who coordinate the invitation, set up, decorations and refreshments at the 5th grade graduation the last day of school
Friday Coffee & Brewing Community
- What better way to get to know the school community than through coffee & bagels? Solicit donations of coffee, bagels and pastries. Set up table select Friday mornings and sell your wares!
Set up Google Groups by class and community-wide at beginning of school year, maintain throughout the year.
Convenes a team to work with PPTG leadership and staff to identify and screen listings for possible grant applications (e.g. foundations, eSchool Grant News, PEN NewsBlast). Recruits and supports writing of applications by teachers, parents, and teams. Helps maintain records and monitors reporting requirements for grants received.
Greening & Gardening
- Promotes monthly garden work days with flyers and email announcements. Coordinates vision of staff with needs of students, teachers and after school program with input from interested volunteers. Gets plants, tools, wood, paint and other materials in advance for preparation for regular work days and special projects. Maintains a master list of projects, including monthly schedules and annual special projects. Manages budget from PPTG and solicits donations and helps to write grants.
Incoming Families Get-together Lucas Gonze
Schedule and plan the Incoming Families Get-together, usually the Saturday before school starts. Includes inviting new families, promoting the event via email and social media, and prepping for the event, as well as being available to answer questions from new families before, during, and after the event. (If you're up for it, previous years have had a picnic, where the coordinator arranges for food, setup, breakdown, games, Q&A session, etc.)
Kindergarten Outreach & Mentorship
Responsible for planning and carrying out activities that convey information about Peralta School to families interested in enrolling their children. Also creates a team that is available to answer new parent questions about the school, it's culture, and systems.
Lost & Found
Monitor lost and found bins and periodically lays out items where children and parents can see and retrieve them (weekly/monthly/at school events). Remind kids and parents through flyers, newsletter, announcements of need to label all clothing and to check lost-and-found. Work with staff to donate unclaimed items when too much builds up.
Entails some email and coordinating during summer/beginning of school year. Toward end of school year, liaise between Principal, PPTG, and sponsor re: renewal of contract for following year. Throughout year, distribute county, state and other information & materials re: mental wellness resources/opportunities to teachers, staff and parents. (Member, School Wellness Council).
Middle School Info Night
Works with other 5th grade parents to assemble information and hold an information night about choices available to Peralta families.
Design, order & manage Peralta branded clothing, mugs, etc. to be worn on Peralta Pride Days. Recruit volunteers to help sell shirts on designated mornings as well as at school events. Maintain commerce page on website, and work with Treasurer with regards to accounting.
- Coordinate sales campaign for quilt raffle tickets in spring term (drawing at Peralta in Bloom). Organize printing of tickets (usually sponsored by a merchant); creation, copying, collating, and distribution of ticket packets to all students; promotion/reminders to community; drawing, winner notification, quilt delivery. Coordinate receipt of money and tix with librarian and treasurer.
- This person helps purchase & maintain inventory of auxiliary, fun supplies for PPTG, Student of the Month program, etc.
Recruits and organizes the room parents at the beginning of school year. Conducts meetings throughout school year and assures that staff, teachers and PPTG can connect/communicate with families with any announcements (i.e. special events and field trips) and also in cases of emergency/crisis.
Coordinate multiple parent and student volunteers for salad bar throughout the students’ lunch hours on every school day. Coordinate a time for a nurse from OUSD health services to come to school site to provide TB testing for all volunteers. Organize special promotions. Assist with establishment and maintenance of food waste composting program. Requires safe food handling procedures, good hygiene, ability to work well with students while maintaining order. Coordinator commitment is 11am – 1pm daily until reliable volunteers are established. Remain on call in case of volunteer no-shows. (Member, School Wellness Council)
- Coordinate student directory in the beginning of the school year, request, compile, organize by class list, manage, print and distribute information from each student.
Coordinate volunteers to supervise drop off zone on Dana. Coordinate and supervise 4th and 5th grade Safety Patrol volunteers. Safe Routes to Schools will provide safety and informational materials to this liaison concerning drop off traffic safety and plans.
AV Support School Events
- Manages set up and support of AV needs for all school events and meetings. To request equipment, use the AV Request form.
Yahoo Group Moderator
Maintains the PPTG Yahoo Groups email list (PeraltaCommunity@yahoogroups.com). Approves new members, removes old members, if requested. Maintains calendar, reminder function, and files on PPTG Yahoo Groups website. Sends emails reminding members of listserv protocol (rare). Time commitment: 2 hours per month.