Attendance:

  • Adults: 32
  • Children: 15

4th Grade and cooking class helped with today’s awesome food!

Announcements:

  • Brewing community
    • Friday, Nov 3 – Dana St. entrance
    • Friday, Nov 17 – 63rd street entrance
  • Garden workday – Saturday, Nov 4
    • Planning daffodils
  • Welcoming Dinner – Sat, Nov 4
  • Prospective family’s night – for prospective families
  • Veterans’ day – No school on Friday, Nov 10th
  • Thanksgiving break – No school Nov 20-24
  • Minimum days conference – Tuesday – Friday, Nov 28 – Dec 1
  • No December PPTG meeting
  • Garden workday & Time capsule – Special event and special alumni guests!
    • Saturday, Dec 9 – 9 am to 1 pm
  • Winter break – No school (Dec 25 – Jan 5)
  • Next PPTG meeting – Wednesday, February 7, 6-8 pm
  • Bloom homes – Stephen bloom realtors – Donates to school: $30 k so far
  • Walkathon – Update
    • Great walkathon
    • We raised $40k - $3k more than last year
    • 223 walkers this year
    • Please complete the survey or talk to Kelly or Scotia
    • Considering doing it earlier this year so it doesn’t conflict with mini maker fair
    • Thank you to all volunteers

4th grade update

  • Ana Thomas:
    • Peralta graduate profile: communicate; inquire; practice stewardship; engage and persist; collaborate; think critically
    • Swapped classes (1/2 hour for 6 weeks)
      • Basic researching techniques
      • Used chrome books
      • Guppies – are livebearers!
    • Make students lifelong readers – Donohue
    • Video on book reviews by Fiona
    • Video on division algorithm by David and other students
    • Marine Science – Thank you PPTG for paying to this program
    • Every single class will be touching marine animals
    • Video from Jayla on thank you PPTG – thank you PPTG for all field trips and marine science program
    • Video on Marine science by Keyla
    • Bigger 3D printing with Katrina – has knowledge of technology; author of book Maxed out
    • Future activities: one model per month; local insects (electricity integrated with art); stained glass window art; archaeology
  • Susan Killebrew:
    • Most important thing – know themselves as learners
    • And understand intelligence – multiple intelligence
    • Intelligence learning in human brain on science
    • Neurons; Synapsis
    • Practice; positive self-talk
    • Example: Instead of saying “I am not good at this” I will ask “What do I need to help myself”
    • Moving into aquatic environments
    • Field trip to Lake Merritt
    • Math – mathematical conversations in the class amongst students
    • Instead of saying “that’s wrong” we say “can you explain your thinking?”
    • Reading & Writing – a lot of reading is about reading as writers so we can learn from established authors with blurbs on the back
    • Future – big boat trip at the end of the year: students learn everything (like hoisting the said and night-watching) they need to do on a ship: year is 1906
    • 2 goals – develop historical empathy and develop collaboration skills
    • Swap was good

Welcoming dinner – Saturday, Nov 4 from 4:30 to 8 pm

  • Still some volunteer positions open
  • Dance class; professional photographer; Passport activities
  • No signing up required for professional photographs

Peralta Racial Study Justice Group (Jonathan; Ellie; Lili, Shannon)

  • Formed last year
  • Inclusion and belonging
  • Couple of initiatives
    • Teach – In
    • Equity assessment (working with SSC – school site council)
  • Very excited to be co-hosting Welcoming Dinner
  • Meetings are usually at home but may have some in school this year
  • Community Agreements:
    • Speak your truth
    • Take risks
    • Maintain confidentiality
    • Step up / Step back
    • Be responsible for your impact. Even if it's different than your intent
    • Oops / Ouch
  • Discuss more in group and then break into partner groups
  • Ellie –
    • Attended a PPTG meeting inequities in OUSD were presented
    • Two women shared about micro aggression
    • Micro aggression – definition by Jonathan: comment / tone / action given without any malicious intention but someone feeling hurt or harm makes it unwelcoming / discriminating
    • I wasn’t satisfied with the response from the room
    • Similar event repeated in last PPTG meeting
  • Next: breaking into small groups for activity: discuss what feels vulnerable to you when you talk about race? At Peralta in your personal life, what’s at stake?

 

Posted
AuthorSteve Mundro

Attendance

  • Adults: 27
  • Children: 15

3rd Grade and cooking class helped with today’s awesome food!

Announcements

  • Shoo the flu went well
  • Walk to school went well; put sticker on chart which is sent for counting on how many walked; biked
  • Garden day – this Saturday 10/7: pumpkin snacks!
  • No school on 13th
  • Middle School Info night – Thursday Oct 19th
  • Brewing community this Friday at drop off alternating between 63rd street and Dana street entrances
  • Walkathon on Oct 22nd Sunday
    • Kids walk around the block
    • Tons of fun things to do
    • Live music
    • Snow cones
    • Big fundraiser - $34k
    • Encourage everyone to participate
    • Start fundraising – collect money directly or use Crowdrise website
    • Need a lot of volunteers
    • On the Peralta website is link to Walkathon page which has link to google spreadsheet for volunteer needs
    • Collecting books next door house at Scotia’s house
    • Need bake sale donations
    • If anyone wants to donate gifts for walkathon please let us know (Scotia Miller/ Kelly Holland)
  • Halloween Pumpkin Patch – Tuesday Oct. 24
    • We get donation of pumpkins
    • Need parent volunteers to offload pumpkins
    • Kids get to pick a pumpkin
  • Halloween Parade – Tuesday Oct 31
    • Do not send your child in costume
    • Costume should be in the bag
    • If you can, come a little early to help with costumes. Great opportunity to take photos!
  • November PPTG meeting
    • Peralta Racial Justice Study Group will be planning something for this meeting
  • BloomHomes School Fund – Stephen Bloom, Realtor
    • We donate to Peralta when you buy your new home with us
  • Peralta fund
    • We hit 81%!!!!!!!
    • Goal was $140K; And we hit $148K
  • Breaking News!
    • New copiers that we paid $20k for should be arriving tomorrow!

Diversity Dinner/Welcoming Dinner

  • Ashley - Envisioning a new vision for DD
  • Bring the whole community to this event
  • Lynn – attended dinner last year but participation did not look diverse
  • PRJSG is also working towards the goal of increasing diversity in school
  • A new vision for DD – want to call it “Welcoming Dinner”
    • Welcoming all families including the new ones
  • Visualize having an ongoing set of events that would work towards inclusion
  • Actively get as many families as possible to the Welcoming Dinner event
  • Plan to invite everyone personally by calling the families
  • A photographer at the school who will take a photo of every family
  • Allison – this is one event that is not about fundraising
  • It’s about welcoming people so they can come and just be who they are!
  • From a K parent – can we tie Peralta Directory with welcoming dinner? Peralta directory is super helpful!

3rd grade teachers (Ms. Vollmer; Ms. Ashby; Ms. Bandy)

  • Multiplication
  • Language arts (Japanese: SUMI BRUSH WORK)
  • Japanese pickle making
  • Science (Cray fish life cycle)
  • Social studies (stories in a time capsule)
  • Found a time capsule in Peralta from 25 years ago!!
  • Team games
    • Mind them on collaboration
    • Collaborative art
  • At Peralta, we give teachers a lot of autonomy

Sara Stone – Network 2 Superintendent

  • Peralta, Chabot and a bunch of other schools in Network 2
  • Sara:
    • Giselle principal requested her to come and introduce herself
    • 2nd year as Network Superintendent
    • An educator over 20 years
    • Grew up in Oakland
    • Worked, teaching career mostly in Redwood City
    • Data coach
    • Moved to Boston for a few years – worked as a principal there
    • Moved back to Oakland and worked as Principal in Redwood Heights
    • Last year I had 10 schools and this year 16 under the network
    • My job: main work is to support the schools
    • Work mainly with the principals
    • Main goal is to be a service leader and serve schools
    • Some examples: little things like facilitating fixing building things in school or big things like legal issues
    • What is happening with consolidations at school site? What is CONSOLIDATION: re-counting of student enrollment after school starts. This may lead some teachers to be pulled out from school sites that are under-enrolled, after the school year has already started.
    • Lynn - can Peralta help other schools in your network?
    • Eleanor – Prop 13! Please support reforming it. And can we not have teacher consolidation in OUSD, and try to make cuts at the central office, instead of taking a teacher awayat the school sites?
    • Blueprint meetings – take the survey.

Auction Update

  • We didn’t have chair at the beginning of the year
  • We send out an ask – and we got responses!
  • Solid procurement team
  • We have catering happening
  • We don’t have a party planner yet. There is a team but no lead yet.
  • If we don’t find a party planner then we may do have a silent auction
  • We had 4 or 5 people who stepped up to be bar leaders
  • We may still need a point person to connect all this
  • So the auction may likely happen! 😊

School Entrance – Doorbell / School buzzer

  • Gates are kept closed from 8:45 to a little before end of school
  • We have a doorbell
  • People in the office get up and open the door for you
  • It is onerous to have to get up and open the door
  • We have an ambassador (part-time person) from the district who is currently placed here to help open the front door when the doorbell rings, so the office staff don't have to do it. But we don’t know how long we will have her
  • Giselle wants to consider getting a buzzer. When the person rings the buzzer, someone from inside the office can press a button without getting up and the door would open. But at this point we don’t have the budget to do the electronics and the camera. This may be a future possibility if the school site budget can fund it. It is around $3700.
  • Feedback: If gates are locked when they are not supposed to be locked, please email Giselle.
  • If kids go out the gate at after school to pick their bikes up they can be locked out. This happened where a girl got locked out and when she was ringing the bell, no one was there to open the door.
Posted
AuthorSteve Mundro

Announements

Garden Work Day this Saturday, September 9, 9:00-1:00.  We have a Garden Committee that coordinates caring for the garden.  Garden Work Days are for everyone to participate, and no skills are requires.  They are the second Saturday of each month, 9:00-1:00. Bring snacks, if possible.

The Peralta Racial Justice Study Group has a meeting next week, location TBD.  The group thinks about ways to get the Peralta community to think more about racial inclusion and equity, and to think about how macro issues play out in the micro environment at Peralta.  All are welcome.

Volunteer Clearance Procedures.  

  • Peralta does not work without bodies on the ground, and a lot of volunteer effort.  We have new volunteer clearance procedures that started last year, and we were concerned it would deplete our volunteering.  We understand it is onerous, but in order to do the important work, it is necessary to take the steps to get cleared.  
  • There are two upcoming opportunities to fulfill the steps:  (1) Tomorrow, Thursday - Free Livescaning and TB clearance at a location on Telegraph; and (2) an event at school next week, cost $35.  Email to follow with details.  
  • To express objection to the onerous process, email Lilly Smith, the volunteering person at OUSD.  
  • If you received a volunteer clearance badge last year, you do not need to do the process again this year.

Upcoming

  • Peralta Brewing Community - Coffee and pastries the first and third Fridays at 63rd St entrance, starts after the morning bell.
  • Book Fair.  Sept 19.  Need volunteers for 45 minute shifts to work the cash register; 2 people per shift.  Allows Ms. Sonia to work with the kids to pick thoughtful books.
  • Picture Days coming up.  More information coming in flyers and reminders.  Sorry that the second  picture day is Rosh Hashanah.  There is a make up day in November.
  • Walk and Roll to school.  In the past, it has been once a month, but this year we’re going to one in October and another in May.  If someone wants to take over this event to do it monthly, that is an option.  It involves giving out stickers and gifts and promoting walking and cycling to school.
  • Safety Patrol and Drop Offs.  You can drop off students at the Dana St. entrance, and the Safety Patrol of student volunteers help the kids out of cars and into school.  Please do not park illegally.  Parent volunteers, 8:25-8:45, always appreciated.

Peralta Fund.  

  • We’re at 44% participation.  We have until Friday, September 29 to get to 80% to meet the school goal.  
  • We want each class at 80% and the whole school at 80%, which helps us get grant money.  Even if you can’t give a lot, know that you small donation helps us get more money.  
  • Remember to check if your employer does corporate matching.  
  • New Families - guidance on how much to give - we ask you to consider donating the amount that you were paying for your child’s monthly preschool/daycare fee, as an annual contribution.  
  • Can set up recurring donations.

Recap on budget activity at the August PPTG Meeting. 

This year we had the option to pay $20K for three brand new copiers with significantly lower maintenance costs, instead of continuing to pay a lot for maintenance on old, worn out copiers.  PPTG is making that purchase, but OUSD is slow - the copiers might be here by the end of October.

Ms. Hendrie spoke to the group:

  • -Copiers - thank you to PPTG.  If PPTG didn’t buy, we would have had to go down to one copier.  The fact that PPTG raised the funds for this is mind blowing to Ms. Hendrie and her principal peers, and she is very appreciative.
  • -Reintroducing herself as a continuation after Back to School Night - She is from originally from Trinidad, a sociologist by training, and has lived in New York and California.  She started at Oakland School for the Arts (OSA) 12 years ago, an arts based charter school.  She was a principal and a college counselor, and wore a lot of hats.  She also designed programs and services for general ed students who needed extra services but did not qualify for special ed or other programs.  She went back to school for teaching credentials and administrator credential.  OUSD asked her about the opening at Peralta, which surprised her because she does not have elementary experience - but she has administrative experience and a deep understanding and experience with the connection between arts and learning.  She was so moved by meeting the Peralta interview committee and by the environment of our school.  When she got the call that we had chosen her, she was so excited.  She knew Peralta was one of the gems in the district.  She knew she was coming into a well established community, and wants to respect and celebrate our cultural values.  She wants to learn about our community.  (“And then I put gates in!”)  Her intention is that this is a listening year.  She is really grateful and excited and exhausted.  She is learning OUSD, and Peralta, and elementary school.  She loves learning.  She is thrilled to be here.  The welcome has been overwhelming.

Questions for Ms. Hendrie?

  • Does OUSD assign you a mentor?  Yes.  I have a mentor and a lot of resources from OUSD.  I also have my best friend as the principal at Crocker Highlands.  Lots of other support and people I can call.
  • Do you have any plans for fostering racial equity at the school?  Yes.  The reality is that the demographic has dramatically shifted in last five years.  At OSA we intentionally reached into minority communities to have after school arts activity.  But that was a charter school.  OUSD is different in the way enrollment works.  For me, it’s about opportunity - to make this gem of a school available to people - so where do we have access in the process?  I do not have control over enrollment.  But we do have access to communities.  One of the things that has shifted is that people are reluctant to apply because they think they won’t get in - so we can encourage people to apply.  We can convey to communities that their presence is valued.  And also the issue of retaining people - creating a culture to support students.
  • What are the most promising avenues you see for positive change to make Peralta even better?  We made it more secure! (With the gates; more examples of outsiders trying to get into the school and we want to prevent that.)  This community is so skilled at what they do, so everything started so smoothly that it is a challenge to find areas for growth.  That said, we’re going to try having a site counselor for areas of growth:  (1) achievement gap - our lower income black students are performing less well than others, though not necessarily poorly as compared to the state; (2) emotional learning; (3) engagement - inclusive community.  This campus signifies the value and importance of childhood and ownership by the kids.
  • What should we call you?  Kids should call me Ms. Hendrie.  That’s what I’m used to.  I’m trying on parents and teachers calling me by my first name, Giselle, which is new.  But Ms. Hendrie is good in front of the kids.

Community Announcements:

  • -The school year is moving to an earlier start in August - next year starts August 12.  There will be a meeting at Chabot Elementary, September 29.  An email coming with details.
  • -Evolve California - working to recall Prop 14 so that we have enough tax revenue for schools - meeting this Saturday.

Upcoming Events on the Peralta Calendar:

The Walkathon!
Sunday October 22, all afternoon.
We’ll launch a lot more info after the Peralta Fund push.  A super fun event for the kids, who walk laps around the school to raise funds in the community (family, friends, neighbors), earn medals, music, food, snow cones, books.  We need about 100 volunteers to make it happen.  Usually 1.5 hour shifts throughout the day, so multiple people in your family can volunteer.  Biggest fundraiser behind the Peralta Fund and the Auction.

Salad Bar.  We have salad bar every lunch to supplement the provided school lunches.  We’ve started getting our garden produce in there.  Big need for volunteers.  We can’t have a salad bar if we don’t get a regular salad bar staff.

Watering/Gardening - we need volunteers to water during shifts.  We need a watering coordinator to organize the volunteers.  It’s simple and already set up, and an opportunity for people who can’t be on campus that much.

The Auction - the Second biggest fundraiser.  We have a $45K hole in our planning for the year to get some leadership to make it happen.  Planning the auction is admittedly a big job.  We need a person to manage the moving parts, but that person doesn’t have to do all the work.  We have teams:  (1) Procurement (Procurement Lead (starts in November to collect items); Teacher Gift Lead (starts in January to coordinate with room parents); Pay to Play Lead (getting new ideas and soliciting from past items); Gift Smart Lead (team with our technical support)), (2) Party Planning (Catering Lead, Bar Lead, Publicity Lead (an artist with posters and publicity - and costumes/decoration ideas)), (3) Sponsorship Lead to get support from local businesses, and (4) Post Production Manager (tying up loose ends, finalizing sales, thank yous).

Diversity Dinner - A break from the fall fundraising, and giant potluck the first Saturday of November.  Other activities in the yard to allow the kids to play and families to get to know each other.

Peralta in Bloom - Spring Festival - We raise money, but the orientation is more towards celebrating spring and a fun kid event without pressure to raise money.  Second week of May.  We are looking for someone new to run it in upcoming years (this is David Goodwin’s last year coordinating it).  We also need someone to coordinate the grill team.

We’ve made a lot of asks.  Another way to help is that we need someone to coordinate grants and sponsorships from the community because we would love to also raise money from people that are not us.

Go sign up!
 

Posted
AuthorSteve Mundro

Welcome and thank you for coming.

Introductions around the room


Announcements:

First day of school - Monday, August 21, 2017

(That is the day of the solar eclipse.  OUSD may have a plan for observing and/or parents may coordinate a viewing.)

Minimum Days during the first week.

PEACE aftercare program starts the first day. 
Initially just meeting each other; PEACE enrichment classes start second week, forms to sign up for those will be sent home on first day. 

We have Early Care this year!  Starting on the first day, at 7:30 a.m.

Provided by EBAC, the same group that does PEACE.

PPTG committed (during June 2017 PPTG meeting) to cover the cost difference between what parents pay and the costs of the program, up to $5,000.

Are there still concerns about the past problem of parents not paying? (1) EBAC needs to better monitor the usage and collecting payments, holding parents more accountable; (2) part of the purpose of the $5,000 is to help cover if the reason people aren't paying is because they can't afford it.

We also need clarification that kids are not supposed to be here unsupervised before 7:20 (unless in Early Care), so some clear messaging will help.

Early Care is flexible, drop in, as long as you do an initial sign up.

Sherice is the point person for Early Care questions.

How should be best communicate with the parents?  There are PPTG emails, but anything else?  Sherice also emails from EBAC, when back from maternity leave.

  • Back to School Night - Thursday, August 31, 2017.
    • Get childcare, if possible, because not enough room to offer childcare for all kids.
  • Next PPTG Meeting - September 6, 2017
  • Garden:   First Work Day - Saturday August 12, 2017
  • Play dates for incoming families have been happening at Colby Park.
  • Incoming Families Orientation - August 19; 3:00-5:00
  • Walkathon:  Save the Date - October 22, 2017
    • NEED a Lead for Sponsorships and Donations
    • Email Eleanor, who will pass on to Scotia Miller and Kelly Holland

New Principal!

Two members of selection committee reported on process (Sarah Savage and Ryann Cheung):

Met (with teachers and staff member Charlezetta) shortly after the June OUSD community meeting;
Looked at the desires everyone submitted during community meeting - used that and teacher meeting materials to generate six questions to ask each candidate

Interviewed three people after extensive clearing process by OUSD; long comprehensive process by OUSD

Strict/formal interview process, ask everyone the same thing.

Giselle blew everyone away.  A lot of confidence and enthusiasm from the teachers as well as the parents.

Back to School Night will be the first time for large group meeting with her (comes before the next PPTG meeting).

Communication Side Issue:

Should we try a new system for communicating with parents - "Constella" - a new website to login to that can send messages to select groups more appropriately.  A lot of collective skepticism from the group, in part because we don't want a separate system that people have to login to, so a resounding NO. (Currently, we have some google group lists and school-wide blasts.)

BUDGET:

Back story - Every June we approve a draft budget (as we did this year), which is a draft until the beginning of the school year because there are typically summer surprises from OUSD.

In the past, schools pay for toner and service on copiers leased by OUSD.  Last year, Rosette asked PPTG to pay for the maintenance costs, to free up her budget to pay for people, which we agreed to do ($15,000).  This year, OUSD decided to no longer lease copiers, so schools can choose to either continue the lease or purchase copiers (without money from OUSD).

Current Decision PPTG Needs to Make on Copiers:  (1) continue to pay the lease and maintenance on the current 2009/2014 copiers ($15,000 annually); or (2) pay for new copiers ($20K for the three machines) and going forward incur $2,000 annual service costs.

Can we do with two machines (instead of three)?  No. Input from teachers, and Rosette previously, is no way.

What do the teachers think? They say the current copiers are old and worn out.  They don't need color or fancy options, but they want a hole punch (only $200 machine feature).

The new machines apparently talk better to Google Docs so teachers can send documents, which they think is important and valuable.

What is the life of the new copiers?  5-7 years.

Is the predicted service cost on new copiers ($2K) locked in?  Does it impact the decision we're going to make? 

Eleanor to email Scotia Miller the proposed contract for new copiers, to review and give input.

Going through Budget Handout line by line

Deficit from last year - Why?  (1) overspending in art and mentors (the aides in the lower grades, and June and Asha - who worked a lot of extra hours last year because we did not have a secretary at the beginning of last year); (2) a grant not paid, but will be and we can use it this year.

Motion for, and official approval of "Proposed Budget 2" which includes authorization to buy new copiers (per handout).  Done!

New Secretary!  (Mr. H left)

Jessica Ramirez, from Hillcrest.  She is temporary, with us until December.

Kimberly Saechao is coming after that, after finishing maternity leave.  Her prior work is with OUSD.

Peralta Fund:

Tell Ryann Cheung (and paper sign up at the meeting) if you are willing to talk to your kids' class during Back to School Night to explain Peralta Fund.

Big Need this year, given the deficit last year.

A specific talking point this year could be focused on the copiers.

Question - Mosaic? - We are out of rotation schedule-wise, so we would have to see if we can fit in.  Are the teachers supportive?  We haven't asked them (5th grade) recently.  So it will depend on interest and availability.  So no money in this years budget for it.  But if we follow up on these questions, it could be possible for next year.  And it may be possible for the fifth graders to do an alternative program.

Volunteer Needs:

We have a new Google Groups person! Vivek Verma

We need a Diversity Dinner Coordinator - Ashley Dawn will do it!  (Just a dinner, separate and apart from the Racial Justice Study Group, which will continue.)
WE NEED AUCTION CHAIRS.  Ideally a 2-year commitment (to train someone during the second year).
 

What about corporate money, so we're not paying for everything ourselves over and over again?  Walkathon is looking for a corporate sponsor.....

Ideally, we want one person who oversees sponsorships across events for the entire year, instead of it being attached to different events - which we've been wishing for for several years.
 

We still have 13 classrooms, and we are not aware of teacher changes.  We do not know specifically how many third grades.

Posted
AuthorSteve Mundro

Adults….25

Children….12

 

 

Announcements

 

Recap on Past Events:

On Bonnie’s K /1 concert

It was awesome! It was brilliant!

Spring book fair

·       Does Peralta get a cut from the book fair? – we get about $1000 to $1500 per year

·       More diversity in the book fair would be awesome, books from local authors

·       Will need research and hard work to change publishers from Scholastic to some other publisher

 

Grade level camping trips

            5th and 3rd grade

            For any questions regarding reserving a spot, contact Chris

 

Future events:

5th Grade Band concert, Friday – June 2, 9-10 am

            Instrumental music concert

PEACE Talent Showcase, Friday – June 2, 5 to 8 pm

            Is Amazing! You should come!

Equity Conversations- Sat / Sun – June 3/4
            Saturday, June 3, 9 to 11 am

            Saturday, June 3, 3 to 5 pm

            Sunday, June 4, 3 to 5 pm

            Contact Jonathan and Ellie

            First one was Tuesday – there was wine, guacamole, child care and good conversations

Ms. Myer’s Bookstore

            Mon / Tue – June 5/6

            Children love it so much! They save their book dollars.

Need some people to wrap children’s presents

Need some runners to back and forth to bring children from classroom and back

If you have donations of random craft or other things – candlesticks, picture frames, books bring them to the office

Minimum Days

Tue-Fri, June 6-9

Last Day of School

Friday, June 9

Garden Work Day - Saturday, June 10, 9am to 1pm

·       We are going to try and plant stuff so they will be growing in the Fall – sunflowers, etc.

·       Pantheon is our fabulous garden manager and networking with other garden people from other schools and comes out with good ideas. He is quit kid focused. Interfacing with students and teachers to help children from stuff, learn about gardening. Getting people to grow edible plants.

 

August PPTG Meeting

            Wednesday, August 2, 2017

 

Key Topics

Peralta in Bloom Recap - David

·       Very good turnout

·       Great weather

·       Not had on the same day as Ride for a reason

·       Thank you to Cory for supplying shade structures
Worked with Anthony this year and plan to do it next year – would like to work with someone new who can take over the organization of Peralta in Bloom year after next. Next year is Anthony’s last year.

·       Not that difficult

·       We have so many people come out and help.         

·       Need a new Prize coordinator. Lori has been doing it for the last few years but this is her last year.

·       Suggestion to have more hot dogs next year since there are so many children participating in the event.

·       Scope for improvement at the grill

·       An idea – can we have a low-key auction with Peralta in bloom? Would be more inclusive.

Draft Calendar for next year

            Printouts handed out at the meeting

Budget Discussion

            1st half is money coming in and 2nd half are expenses; explanation of line items:

·       Peralta fund – can we have some money at the beginning of the year?

·       Corporate matching – some cute donations from employers

·       Merchant donations – e.g. Amazon smile, little sort of box tops for education

·       Some grants that Ellen writes to support grant programs

·       Auction – brings in 1/5th of the money

·       Book fair

·       Peralta in Bloom

·       Yard sale – not happening anymore

·       Walkathon

·       Sale and small projects

·       Quilt Raffle

·       Expenses

o   Most of the money goes toward people resources

§  Art – Ms. Ellen

§  Sports – Coach Reese

§  Music – Ms. Bonnie

§  Garden – Pantaleon

§  Field trips

§  School support

·       Mentors

§  Maintenance – for copier

§  Classroom supplies – Chairs, Easels, since we do not have Title I funding we need to pay for these

§  Library – Ms. Sonia

§  Mental Health resources

§  Teacher grants

§  Principal funds

§  Computer supplies

·       Got some chrome books

§  Literacy – DU dinner

§  Operations

·       Bank fees, taxes, accounting fees

§  Meetings

·       Cost of child care and food for our meetings

o   Comments from parents:

§  Appreciative that we are hitting the budget that was set previously

§  There are funds reserved for big capital needs and emergency needs

§  All the money we are raising is going back to school on so many people resources

§  Very appreciative!

§  A request for adding before care line item

·       Will need to check with Legal if we consider having parents volunteer for before care

·       In the past, PEACE ran before care and there is no sliding scale option for before care from PEACE

·       Motion to put a line item in the budget for before care line item which is approximately $5000

·       All in favor

·       Motion to pass the budget with the above change

·       All in favor

 

5th grade graduation on last day of school in school

            Ceremony in multipurpose room

            There’s drumming

            Parents sign out and kids go to a park – Robert’s park

 

There’s a pay to play party called Summer Launch party at Tilden park at 3 pm

·       All grades welcome

 

Thank you and farewell bouquet of flowers to outgoing treasurers and to principal Ms. Costello for another amazing year.

 

Thank you to Marissa and Sabrina for attending their very last PPTG meeting.

 

 

Posted
AuthorSteve Mundro